Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Blueberry Buttercream Cupcakes


Totally cheater cupcakes - I took a box of white cake mix, added whole eggs, lemon zest and fresh blueberries. But I did make the buttercream from scratch. So kinda half-homemade. But the thought is there, right? Actually, it's perfect for last minute entertaining, and I do like to use cheater recipes from time to time. Maybe I'll add more in here at a later date. I always had a dream to launch a site to make frozen dinners more appealing - I know, I dream BIG!

I don't know where I found the recipe for the buttercream icing (it was a cupcake blog, so if it's you, let me know and I will give you proper credit), but it comes together so quickly and easily, and tastes amazing.

Buttercream Frosting
1 cup butter, at room temperature (nice and soft)
6-8 cups icing sugar, you could sift if yours is lumpy
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (or other flavour)
plus I added violet gel food colouring, but you could make yours whatever colour takes your fancy

Beat butter until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add half the icing sugar, milk and vanilla and beat slowly to incorporate. If you aren't careful you will end up with icing sugar dust everywhere. 
Gradually add the remaining icing sugar until you reach your desired consistency - thicker for icings that need to hold up in piping, and thinner for icings that will be smoothed on. Add colour and go!

This will ice 60 miniature cupcakes with the amount if icing I have in the picture above. You don't even have to keep it in your refrigerator if you plan to eat it within a couple of days (and you don't leave it in the sun).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment