Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Greek Salad


It's lunchtime on Sunday, my husband is away and I am left with the child who won't eat anything but butter chicken, rice, milk and oatmeal. There's no way I am cooking today, so I have a choice of Kraft Dinner (definitely OK in some instances) or toss together something from ingredients in my fridge/pantry, of which I am trying to do more of these days. I saw a television ad that suggested we throw away half of what we actually buy, and sometimes, I am one of those people. It's awful to think of, really. All that good food getting thrown away simply because I was too lazy to eat or cook it.

To my surprise we have everything in our fridge necessary for an amazing Greek Salad - tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, olives and peppers. And then I look further and I find half a red onion and some fresh dill. Oh my, it's a great day!

I am not really a salad eater. I can think of nothing less enjoyable than a bowl full of "grass". I know, it's not grass, but come on, it's close enough :) Now, give me a salad full of "stuff" and I will happily munch away - hence the liking for a big bowl of fresh Greek Salad.
Dill was never a favourite herb of mine until I had tried it in Greek Salad. I always associated it with seafood and I am not a big seafood eater either. You know, maybe I had been eating it for years without realising that it was in the salad, but I don't think so. It was definitely the addition of a cook who I was working with years ago, that put me onto this gem. All the Greeks out there, I'm apologising if dill isn't traditional, but try it, it tastes delicious.

Greek Salad
makes 2 serves (able to be doubled, tripled or multiplied many times)


12 grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 English cucmber, sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced
1/4 red pepper, chopped
1/4 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
50g feta cheese, cubed

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch each salt & pepper

Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl, toss to combine.
Mix dressing ingredients in a small bowl, pour over salad and gently toss. Check for seasoning and serve.
If you are making this salad the night before, I suggest you keep the salad and the dressing separate, and only toss about 1/2 an hour prior to serving. I like the salad ingredients crisp and fresh, and I find that if they sit in the dressing too long the tomatoes and cucumbers especially, become a bit mushy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment