Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Carrot Lentil Soup



I was looking for a great hearty soup to make to keep me warm today - and it turns out I had all the ingredients in my fridge and pantry for this one. It's also great as it doubles as baby food for my twins. The soup is not spicy, it's smooth but thick, and it's packed full of red lentils and other goodness.
I found this recipe on the Canadian Living website last week, while I was looking for a bread recipe, and it just sounded so good.
I love to eat soup, actually, if ever there was only soup left, I would be happy. I should make it more often, it's so easy, generally everything just gets thrown into a pot and left to simmer. Occasionally, there are a few more steps. I often disappoint myself when I give in and buy soup from the grocery store - it's never flavourful enough, or it's overly salty, or there is just something lacking. I will be honest, my favourite canned soup is Baxter's, and I love their Lentil and Smoky Bacon Soup. My kids love it too. In an emergency, when I am too tired or too busy to cook, I will generally reach for a can of Baxters soup for lunch.

Carrot Lentil Soup
adapted from a recipe here at Canadian Living

1 tablespoon canola oil
3 carrots, peeled & sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoons minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup red lentils
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
1/2 cup sour cream

Heat oil in large saucepan, add carrots, onion. garlic, ginger, cumin, salt & pepper. Cook gently until onions are softened and just beginning to brown. Add stock with red lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Puree, either in blender or use an immersion blender, then stir through coriander and sour cream. If soup is too think, add additional stock or water. Serve hot.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment